Wednesday 12 November 2014

Called by Grace!

I had just finished my reports and I had called Onome to let’s go downstairs and talk. Our new office hardly afforded privacy and while there had been a time when I had thought what I was about to discuss with Onome had been public, I was not interested on tooting the particular horn before people yet.

Soon, Onome began to tell me about his brush with death via an accident that had taken place on his way to Delta state preparing for his wedding. Getting out of the car with barely a scratch in an accident where one person had died and several others bleeding was miracle enough. Hearing the entire story was humbling and mind blowing at the same time. I am certain an angel was involved.

Ebuka joined us and recounted his own testimony- how he and his brother with his family had escaped death by fire. I was stunned. This God was still in the business of saving lives and people.

It was not that I did not have my own experiences. I should be the last to deny my overflowing cup of testimonies. I was however seeing that what God would do for one, he would do for all. He loved His creation!

When Ebuka mentioned how he was ‘trying ’ to serve God and how distractions and temptations came despite all God had done for him. I felt he thought himself inept. Perhaps, ungrateful. I could relate. I felt I could see him beyond what he had said.

I told him God was not looking for perfect people. He perfects. He is not expecting us to deal with life’s problem’s, temptations and distresses alone and come to him with a ‘clean bill of health’- of having done things by ourselves- we couldn’t possibly!

All God wants is for us to come to Him with genuineness of heart, ready to serve Him, humble ourselves before him and live our lives for Him. I have since found that this is a daily decision and commitment. Daily, attacks will come, temptations and distractions. They must surely come. But once we have taken that decision daily, we are better able to stand.

The story comes to mind from perhaps a devotional I read which goes something akin to a small boy walking a tight rope to impress his mum and stretches out both hands holding nothing as he ‘does’ this great feat and excitedly shouts to his mum, ‘See mama, no hands!’

Even as I write this I can imagine the horror felt by such a mother. ‘No hands!’ I doubt God wants us doing such things with ‘no hands’. He definitely wants to walk you through everything in life and in your life. You have not charted this course before. Why ‘no hands’?

Then I am reading the book of 2nd Timothy this morning and Chapter 1 verse 9 confirms what I was telling Ebuka. It says, ‘Who has saved us and called us with an holy calling, not according to our works but according to his own purpose and grace…’.

It confirms that you have been called not because you are holy but because, if you let Him, you will be.

No comments:

Post a Comment